Overall, I believe my Free Inquiry on learning the basics of Spanish went alright. I started off strong with a couple weeks straight of achieving my daily goal. I was doing well at matching English and Spanish words together, speaking Spanish, and translating sentences. My biggest challenge  was writing in Spanish. I am not surprised about this because this is my weakest skill in English and French. To work on my spelling I would text my brother in Spanish and he would respond. I was pretty good at translating his sentences because of my minimum knowledge in the language and my knowledge in French. I would often have to go back to the app to ensure I spelt the words correctly. Unfortunately the week before reading break I had a lot of work to do for my other classes and my Spanish learning decreased drastically. I would go a couple of days without going on the Duolingo app. After this period I decided to start researching about the Duolingo app and its pros and cons rather than write my blogs on my progress.

I learned many things during this project. I have always been told that Spanish and French are similar but I did not realize how similar they really are. I also realized that the daily goals I set were too difficult while being a student. If I did not have the work load of five course, I believe I could have obtained my goal. This will be good to know for the future if I chose to learn a new language or learn more Spanish. Furthermore, I learned the pros and cons of Duolingo and compared it to Rosetta Stone. I became more familiar with these two language apps and came to the conclusion that I would use Duolingo again in the future rather than Rosetta Stone. The main reason is money, I do not have a couple hundred dollars to learn a new language.

The main advice I would give to someone starting a similar inquiry would be to set realistic goals. You will not have the motivation to learn the language at all if you set expectations that are out of reach. Another piece of advice I would give is to research which language software would work best for you. Depending on your wants and needs, a different language software may work better.