Today we had a guest speaker who came to speak about her experiences of how she incorporates Minecraft into her classroom. She brought several of her own students to help us figure out the game and share their own stories and experiences. I found it interesting to hear how a video game can be incorporated into different subjects.

I do agree that Minecraft can be brought into lessons to teach students in many subjects but I do not think it emphasizes on them enough. An example in math would be working on the x and y axis. Yes, Minecraft does have these axis but as a student you do not need to pay attention to them at all if you chose not to. I think students can easily be carried away and focus only on the “playing” portion of the lessons and forget what the main focus is supposed to be. Furthermore, I am not a strong believer and lover of video games; therefore, I will most likely not incorporate Minecraft into my future classrooms.

Below is a link to a Minecraft lesson in Mathematics for grade 3:

https://education.minecraft.net/wp-content/uploads/Math-CC-Alignment-Guide-Grade-3.pdf